The 2019 season finally got going as local boys shook off the bad weather of previous weeks to turn in a slew of big performances – topped by Arroyo senior Noah Hibbard’s big mile win at the Distance Meet of Champions.
There are now ten All-SGV performers in the 3200 & eight in the 800, while no local boys have yet met the standard in the throws.
Here are the new 2019 Leaders as of this week (or previous leaders who improved their mark):
- 800: 1:53.61 – Kai Dettman (Sr, South Pas)
- 1600: 4:07.25 – Noah Hibbard (Sr, Arroyo)
- 3200: 9:27.01 – Josh Orellana (Jr, Arroyo)
- 110H: 14.87 – Matthew Uballe (Sr, Diamond Bar)
- 4×100: 43.60 – Bishop Amat
- 4×400: 3:26.93 – Monrovia
- Pole Vault: 15-00 – David Miketta (Jr, La Cañada)
- Long Jump: 21-11.50 – Julian Thai (Sr, Gabrielino)
- Triple Jump: 47-06 – Tianho Wei (Jr, South Pasadena)
- Blue Mark = Top 50 All-Time SGV Mark
The lists are here: 19 All SGV Boys 3-23
The All-San Gabriel Valley lists include athletes who have achieved a standard based on 98% of the 100th best mark in California the previous year.
You can view the 2019 SGV Standards here.
The 2019 standards reflect the small but general decline in the standards of our sport over the past 4-5 years. (For comparison, you can view the 2015 Standards here). And the SGV athletes have declined proportionately a little more, especially in the technical events. Here’s to hoping 2019 will reverse that trend!