13th Annual San Gabriel Valley Championships
Saturday, April 14, 2018 at San Dimas High School
This is a regional championship meet, limited to the seventy-eight Southern Section public and private schools within the broadly construed San Gabriel Valley. Our area is somewhat defined by the coverage areas of the San Gabriel Valley Tribune, Pasadena Star News, and Whittier Daily New. Geographically, the meet boundaries are the mountains to the north, the L.A. County line to the east, the Arroyo Seco (but including La Canada) on the west, and the 5 Freeway to the south.
Because our schools are separated into different CIF divisions and leagues, many of our athletes will never have the chance to compete head to head. And because the Southern Section has such deep competition, many otherwise excellent athletes never have the chance to compete in a championship setting. This meet creates that competition and that championship setting.
Competition is offered for boys and girls at the Varsity and Frosh/Soph levels for both – which gives our younger athletes a championship experience as well.
There are no minimum entry standards, but we only accept the top 27-45 entries in each event, balanced for broader participation
The Meet will Feature
- Tim O’Rourke – the Voice of Southern Section Track and XC, will once again be our meet announcer.
- Continued Excellent Timing System – We’ve contracted again with Finished Results to provide timing services for the meet, which this year will include two large electronic results boards and the ability to award medals on the track immediately after each race.
- Guaranteed Entries – the growth in the meet’s depth of quality and breadth of participation means that it is becoming harder for athletes to gain entry. So to assure broader participation, every participating school is guaranteed at least four accepted Varsity entries per gender, plus all Varsity relay entries will be accepted.
- Broader Inclusion – Our top sections/flights will remain the top athletes by seed, regardless of school. For the lower sections/flights, we will give priority to including athletes from more teams. This means that a school’s top entry may be accepted over another school’s third or fourth best entry, even if those athletes have a slightly better seed.
- Fast Track – San Dimas HS has the same fast Mondo used at the Olympics, World Championships and CIF Finals.
To take part in this year’s event, please contact meet director Bob Ramsey at firstname.lastname@example.org
Complete meet details here or down-loadable here: 17 SGV Meet Details