15th Annual San Gabriel Valley Track & Field Championships
Saturday, May 15, 2021 at Covina District Field
This is a regional championship meet, limited to the seventy-seven Southern Section public and private schools within the broadly construed San Gabriel Valley. Our area is somewhat defined by the coverage areas of the San Gabriel Valley Tribune, Pasadena Star News, and Whittier Daily New. Geographically, the meet boundaries are the mountains to the north, the L.A. County line to the east, the Arroyo Seco (but including La Canada) on the west, and the 5 Freeway to the south.
Because our schools are separated into different CIF divisions and leagues, many of our athletes will never have the chance to compete head to head. And because the Southern Section has such deep competition, many otherwise excellent athletes never have the chance to compete in a championship setting. This meet creates that competition and that championship setting.
Competition is offered for boys and girls at the Varsity and Frosh/Soph levels for both – which gives our younger athletes a championship experience as well.
There are no minimum entry standards, but we only accept the top 27-45 entries in each event, balanced for broader participation
New for 2021
- A Tighter Schedule – we’ve tightened up the schedule to take out the dead spots – we’ll finish an hour sooner than previous years.
- A Later Schedule – with the meet a month later this year, we will experiment with ending the meet in the evening in hopes of better performances and better attendance of family and friends. We will start Field Events at 1:30 pm and aim to be completed by 8:30 pm.
- Competition by Division – We may divide the Varsity division this year into two divisions, based on enrollment adjusted for demographic factors. The top race will be the best athletes, regardless of division, then then two sections for each Varsity division, and a max of three Frosh/Soph sections. (You can view the proposed divisions here. The divisions are currently based on CBED’s and demographic data from the 2018-2019 school year. You can read about the methodology here).
- Check in/Clerking System – this year, athletes will be asked to report to the clerk or field even site 20 minutes before their event. Events will begin with the top section/flight sections first. Late arriving athletes will be moved to later flights and sections if space allows.
- Continued Excellent Timing System – We’ve contracted again with Finished Results to provide timing services for the meet, which this year will include two large electronic results boards and the ability to award medals on the track immediately after each race.
- Guaranteed Entries – the growth in the meet’s depth of quality and breadth of participation means that it is becoming harder for athletes to gain entry. So to assure broader participation, every participating school is guaranteed at least six accepted Varsity entries per gender, plus all Varsity relay entries will be accepted.
- Broader Inclusion – Our top sections/flights will remain the top athletes by seed, regardless of school. For the lower sections/flights, we will give priority to including athletes from more teams. This means that a school’s top entry may be accepted over another school’s third or fourth best entry, even if those athletes have a slightly better seed.
- Better Field Event Facilities – Our move to to CDF gives us two, non-overlapping LJ/TJ runways, enabling us to have more athletes compete and to finish on time.
- Complete meet details: 21 SGV Champs Details
- Preliminary Meet Schedule: Soon
- Meet Contract – Soon
- Instructions to Coaches for Entries – (Released in April, 2021)
- Meet Day & Competition Instructions (Released on Meet Week)