The Southern Section Cross Country season comes to it’s end Saturday with the Championship Finals at The Cross County Course in Riverside. Nineteen girls teams from the San Gabriel Valley and nineteen boys will be among the 240 teams competing in the best sectional cross country meet in the nation.
Parking is $10 and the spectator gates open at 6:45.
Top 7 teams in each division advance to the State Championship Meet, along with the top 5 individuals from non-qualifying teams who place in the top 20.
- Â Â 7:45 – Div 1 Boys – California and La Serna repeat their finish from the Del Rio Final, but this time Cal is 7th/87:24, advancing to State, and the Lancers are 8th/87:23, first out. Arcadia was 12th/78:13. Top SGV finishers:Â Angel SalinasÂ (Sr, California) – 34th/15:17, =21st All-Time SGV on this course,Â Jacob HsuÂ (Jr, Arcadia) – 36th/15:18, andÂ Ethan RuizÂ (Jr, California) – 40th/15:19 – =24th A-T. with 7 more A-T performances behind them
- Â Â 8:05 – Div 2 Boys – Arroyo’sÂ Noah HibbardÂ runs 14:35 for second and the SGV’s All-Time Best on this course. His Knights are 10th/87:10. SGV #1Â ClaremontÂ is 2nd/75:51 andÂ RowlandÂ 16th/79:15. Top performers were Hibbard,Â Ryan CowgillÂ (Sr, Claremont) – 9th/14:58 – 5th A-T andÂ Adam TrafecantyÂ – 12th/15:00 – 7th A-T with 7 more All-Time performances behind them.
- Â Â 8:25 – Div 1 Girls – WalnutÂ does it! They finish 6th/89:57, moving up from 7th at the half-way point and advance to the State Meet.Â Chloe ArriagaÂ was 2nd/16:52, sisterÂ EmmaÂ 8th/17:05 – and is now 4th All-Time SGV on this course.Â Joyce WuÂ (Sr, Arcadia) had a life-time best 17:33 for 16th. She’s now =8th A-T SGV, but just missed an individual spot in the State Meet.
- Â Â 8:45 – Div 2 Girls -Â ClaremontÂ remain undefeated at Riverside, winning their third straight Championship in 87:35, with 45 point margin on the second placed team.Â Arroyo, running without their #2, was 22nd/96:46. Top finishers were CHS’Â Â Maddie Coles,Â whoÂ won the individual championship in 16:54, 2nd fastest All-Time SGV,Â Sydney HwangÂ 11th/17:26 andÂ Azalea Segura MoraÂ – 14th/17:36 – 11th A-T. All seven Claremont girls recorded Top 50 A-T times.
- Â Â 9:05 – Div 3 Boys – BonitaÂ takes the top SGV place in 10th/80:33. Next wasÂ South HillsÂ with a big step up to finish 15th/81:38, thenÂ WhittierÂ – 16th/81:57, withÂ Los AltosÂ 22nd/83:55. Top finishers wereÂ Devin HightowerÂ (Sr, South Hills) with a really great 15:08 for 4th and a spot in the State Meet. He’s =14th All-Time SGV. Baldwin Park juniorÂ Edwardo De PazÂ also earned a trip to Fresno in 12th/15:18 – 23rd A-T.Â Dillon HightowerÂ (Sr, South Hills) just missed a State spot in 16th/15:23 – =31st A-T, and Pasadena wonder-froshÂ Isaiah GivensÂ finished his outstanding debut season in 25th/15:29 – =42nd A-T.
- Â Â 9:25 – Div 4 Girls – In the SGV’s best represented division, only Mayfield will move on to the State meet with a 5th/94:08 finish.South PasadenaÂ was 12th/97:47, Flintridge Sacred HeartÂ 12th/97:47,Â Bishop AmatÂ 13th/97:45,Â La Canada – 15th/99:30,Â Covina 18th/100:24 and San Dimas 23rd/102:33.Â Audrey SuarezÂ (So, Mayfield) was the SGV’s best in 2nd/17:24 – 6th All-Time SGV on this course.Â Olivia PaezÂ (Sr, Bishop Amat) was 7th/18:07 and she’ll advance individually to the State meet along withÂ Lauren NettelsÂ (Jr, FSHA) – 10th/18:10 – 30th A-T and Ellaney MatareseÂ (So, La CaÃ±ada) – 13th/18:24 – 41st A-T
- Â Â 9:45 – Div 5 Boys – Flintridge Prep, finished second in 82:23 to a strong St. Margarets team.Â Â Webb was 17th/78:49 andÂ Maranatha 22nd – 89:54.Â Carson HasbrouckÂ (Sr, Flintridge Prep) had the top SGV performance at 13th/16:01
- 10:10 – Div 3 Girls – RosemeadÂ finished their late season surge with a great 10th/98:20 finish, followed byÂ BonitaÂ – 12th/99:27,Â La MiradaÂ – 20th/102:16 andÂ NogalesÂ 26th/110:49. The top SGV performance was fromÂ Melanie MachÂ (Sr, Rosemead) who was literally out-leaned by an inch for the final State spot in 16th/18:33 – good for =47thth A-T SGV.
- 10:35 – Div 4 Boys – Eight SGV teams toed the line, and only one, South Pasadena, will move on with a 4th/80:29 finish.Â PioneerÂ was 11th/82:08,Â Bishop AmatÂ 14th/83:34,Â St. FrancisÂ 21st/85:26,Â La CanadaÂ 22nd/86:32,Â AzusaÂ 23rd/87:20 andÂ CovinaÂ 24th/87:03.Â Kai DettmannÂ (Sr, South Pasadena) had the top SGV finish at 11th/15:29 – =42nd All-Time SGV.Â Owen SerricchioÂ (Sr, La Canada) – 14th/15:34,Â Nathan VallejoÂ (Sr, Southlands Christian) – 17th/15:39 andÂ Nathaniel EstradaÂ (Jr, Pioneer) – 18th/15:39 earned individual spots in the State Meet.
- 11:00 – Div 5 Girls – Flintridge Prep were edged out by St. Margarets for the Championship, 78-89, with the Rebels running 97:08.Â PolyÂ was 14th/108:17,Â Ramona ConventÂ 19th/109:40 andÂ WebbÂ 21st/110:16.Â Lily MillerÂ (So, Webb) had the best SGV performance in 5th/18:34, =50th A-T SGV, and she’ll advance to Fresno individually.
We’ll have quick coverage of the races as we’re able on the race day. Complete coverage will follow later Saturday, and Sunday.