With many teams taking the weekend off or resting varsity runners in anticipation of this week’s league meets, younger runners were able to shine.Â Bonita won both frosh races at the big Dana Hills Invite, while Rowland’s largely underclass team had the top local finish at the Sunny Hills Invite. Griffith Park’s Bell-Jeff Invite, with strong performances from Los Altos and the Stanford Invite rounded out the local schedule.
This weeks top performers were Rowland junior (and single shoe runner, see below) Nick Rivera, who was 2nd in his class and 8th overall at Sunny Hills, and Lexie Jackson (Soph-Bonita) who was second in her class at Dana Hills.Â Frosh & Sophs made up three of the boys Top Ten and all but three of the girls.
This weekâ€™s Top Ten Performers after the jump.Â
Week 3: Area Top Ten Performers
Note:Â Cross Country is contested over a wide variety of surfaces, terrains, and distances, making it very difficult to compare performances.Â The list below attempts to account for those differences in ranking this week’s performances.Â Your mileage may vary.
- 15:56 Â Nick Rivera (Jr-Rowland) – Sunny Hills: 3 miles, hilly
- 16:02 Â Benjamin Alvarez (Sr-Rowland) – Sunny Hills
- 15:34 Â James McCreary (Jr-Diamond Bar) – Dana Hills, 3 miles, net downhill
- 16:01 Â Andy Lopez (Sr-Los Altos) – Bell-Jeff, 2.9 miles, very hilly
- 16:05 Â Josh Sanchez (Jr-Los Altos) – Bell-Jeff
- 16:45 Â David Galvez (So-Rowland) – Sunny Hills
- 16:50 Â Alfred Orosco (Sr-Azusa) – Stanford, 5k slightly rolling
- 16:48 Â William Knoth (So-Charter Oak) – Sunny Hills
- 16:18 Â Armando Tapia (Sr-Los Altos) – Bell-Jeff
- 16:05 Â Dillon Nobbs (Fr-Bonita) – Dana Hills
- 18:02 Â Lexie Jackson (S0-Bonita) – Dana Hills, 3 miles, net downhill
- 18:15 Â Mikayla Flores (Fr-Bonita) – Dana Hills
- 19:17 Â Miriam Jimenez (Sr-Baldwin Park) – Sunny Hills: 3 miles, hilly
- 19:22 Â Carly Lake (Jr-Charter Oak) – Sunny Hills
- 18:39 Â Megan Renken (Fr-Claremont) – Dana Hills
- 18:43 Â Ashley Riggle (Sr-Claremont) – Dana Hills
- 18:43 Â Merin Arft (Fr-Claremont) – Dana Hills
- 19:00 Â Baily Sanin (So, Claremont) – Dana Hills
- 19:12 Â Katie Seder (Fr-Bonita) – Dana Hills
- 20:17 Â Erica Loberg (Fr-West Covina) – Stanford, 5k slightly rolling
The 1.91 mile course at Mt.SAC is so different we won’t even try to convert those times.
Conversion Standards (The assumed norm is a flat, fast, 3 mile course)
- Bell-Jeff:Â no adjustment, 2.9 miles is balanced by hills.
- Dana Hills: + 15
- Sunny Hills: – 30 seconds for boys, – 35 for girls
- Stanford: Standard 5K to 3 mile deduction.