This was a big weekend for SGV XC. Our schools registered six team wins and three individual wins
- the Bishop Amat girls won the Div. IV race at Stanford.
- Melanie Mach (Sr, Rosemead) won the Girls Varsity race at Perris Valley.
- The Damien boys won the Boys Varsity race at Perris Valley.
- Joyce Wu (Arcadia) finished 2nd in the Div. 1 race at the Nike Portland XC classic, and the team, nearing full strength, was 5th. The boys finished 8th in the Championship race.
- Both the Claremont Boys and Girls win the big seeded races at the Stanford Invite.
- The Bonita boys were the winners of the Brea Invitational.
- Lily Miller (So, Webb) won the White Varsity Division race at the Bellarmine-Sacred Heart Invite.
- Ellaney Matarese won the girls Varsity race at Staub-Barnes and led La Canada to the team win.
We will expand our coverage as photos and more details become available.
Stanford Invitational (Stanford Golf Course)
Staub/Barnes Invitational (Crescenta Valley Park)
Brea Invitational (Carbon Canyon Park – Brea)
- Lorelei Claxton (Jr, Bonita) was 4th/19:21 for three miles in the race that matched up each team’s number one and two runners. Ivanna Chagolla (Sr, St. Lucy’s) was 11th/20:08
- Nick Acosta and Daniel Echeveste were 6th/16:30 and 11th/16:41 for Bonita in the boys 1-2 race.
- The Bonita girls finished 3th overall in the merge of all the results, beating Santiago, ranked in Div. 1 and the D3 hosts Brea-Olinda. St. Lucy’s also had a strong day and finished 8th overall.
- Other girls finishes: St. Paul-13th, El Rancho-16th and El Monte-26th. Baldwin Park, Cantwell-SHM, Los Altos, West Covina and Southlands Christian competed by did not have five runners finish.
- The CIF-SS Div. 3 #10 Bonita boys were breakthrough winners, defeating the higher ranked host team with what were probably three life-time best performances in the first five. Los Altos and El Rancho also had their best days of the season, finishing 6th and 8th respectively.
- Here’s a Milesplit Interview with Bonita’s #3 Connor Henning
- Other boys finishes: El Monte-16th, St. Paul-17th, West Covina-25th, Baldwin Park-31st. Cantwell-SHM and Southlands Christian competed but did not have five runners finish.
Bellarmine-Sacred Heart Invitational (Griffith Park – Los Angeles)
- Serena Duenas (Alhambra) finished 2nd/18:45 in the top Varsity race and, along with Alyssa Romero 11th/19:35, led the Moors to a third place finish on this super-hilly course. Mark Keppel was 20th.
- Lily Miller won the White Div. race in 18:32 to lead Webb to a third place finish. Olivia Ruiz was 6th/20:06. Westridge was 4th and Mountain View 15th. Here’s a Runnerspace interview with Lily.
- Daniel Piesik (La Salle) was 9th/16:45 in the boys White Div. race. Webb was 7th and San Marino 19th.
- Jesus Islas (Montebello) – 30th/17:02 was the top SGV finisher in the boys Red Div. race, and the Oilers’ at 11th were the top local team. Alhambra was 22nd and Mark Keppel was 23rd.
Perris Valley XC Showdown (Lake Perris SRA – Moreno Valley)
- Rosemead Melanie Mach won the Girls Varsity race in 16:53 on this 2.6 mile course! The Panthers were 2nd in the team competition, and Bassett was 11th.
- Danny Ebiner (So, Damien) was 4th/14:13 and senior teammate Trevor Goodenough 6th/14:17 in the Boys Varsity race, leading their team to the win. Rosemead was 8th.